Pesticides are defined as any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, or controlling any pest, including vectors of human or animal disease, unwanted species of plants or animals, causing harm during or otherwise interfering with the production, processing, storage, transport, or marketing of food, agricultural and cosmetics commodities. The residues of pesticides including their metabolites and/or degradation products will remain in plants, or in the soil that become a notable source of contamination for herbal medicines.
Pesticides are a group of chemicals that include:
- Insecticides (insect control)
- Herbicides (weed control)
- Fungicides (control of disease caused by fungi) Rodenticides (rodent control)
- Fumigants (substances used in gaseous form to control insects)
Other pesticides (e.g. microbials or chemicals to control algae, slugs and insect eggs). People are exposed to pesticides by:
- absorption through the skin
- swallowing, pesticide exposure cause several types of cancers like lymphoma, multiple myeloma, prostate, and kidney and lung cancer and other health risks including, neuro developmental and neuro degenerative, urinary tract and genital disease, central nervous system defects, heart defects, eye anomalies, decreased fertility, altered growth including low birth weight and prematurity, and fetal death; learning disabilities and asthma as well as death caused by acute poisoning
ITC Labs capabilities
Completely automatic advanced instruments GC/MS/MS, GC-ECD and LC/MS/MS used for analysis of pesticides at ppb and ppm level.